Skip to main content

World's largest plane destroyed in Ukraine


 The world's largest aircraft, the Antonov AN-225, has been destroyed during the Russian invasion of Ukraine, according to Ukrainian officials, generating alarm and sadness among the aviation world in which it occupies almost cult status.

The enormous aircraft, named "Mriya," or "dream" in Ukrainian, was parked at an airfield near Kyiv when it was attacked by "Russian occupants," Ukrainian authorities said, adding that they would rebuild the plane.

"Russia may have destroyed our 'Mriya'. But they will never be able to destroy our dream of a strong, free and democratic European state. We shall prevail!" wrote Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Twitter.
There has been no independent confirmation of the aircraft's destruction. A tweet from the Antonov Company said it could not verify the "technical condition" of the aircraft until it had been inspected by experts.

Ukrainian state defense company Ukroboronprom, which manages Antonov, on Sunday issued a statement saying the aircraft had been destroyed but would be rebuilt at Russia's expense -- a cost it put at $3 billion.

"The restoration is estimated to take over 3 billion USD and over five years," the statement said. "Our task is to ensure that these costs are covered by the Russian Federation, which has caused intentional damage to Ukraine's aviation and the air cargo sector.

In a later statement, the company said the airplane had been in on the ground near Kyiv on February 24 undergoing maintenance.

"According to the director of Antonov Airlines, one of the engines was dismantled for repairs and the plane wasn't able to take off that day, although the appropriate commands were given," it said.

Russian forces claimed to have captured Hostomel airfield, where the AN-225 was located, on Friday. A CNN team on the ground witnessed Russian airborne troops taking up positions.

Satellite images from Maxar Technologies show significant damage to part of the hangar in which the AN-225 is stored.

Meanwhile, NASA's Fire Information for Resource Management System detected multiple fires at the airport, including at the hangar where the plane is kept. The fire at the hangar was detected at 11:13 a.m. on Sunday, according to the NASA data, which is obtained from a number of NOAA and NASA satellites.

It is not clear if these fires at the airport are the result of actual fires or explosions from military strikes.

If confirmed, the attack would mark a shocking end to an aircraft that has seen more than 30 years of service dating back to the days of the Soviet Union.
The AN-225 was sometimes drafted in to help airlift aid during crises in other countries. In the aftermath of the 2010 Haiti earthquake it delivered relief supplies to the neighboring Dominican Republic. During the early days of the Covid pandemic it was used to transport medical supplies to affected areas.

Its popularity in the aviation world meant it often drew large crowds wherever it went, particularly when it made star appearances at air shows.

Some of its fans took to social media on Sunday to express their dismay at claims of the aircraft's destruction. "Mriya - You will always be remembered!" wrote aviation blogger Sam Chui on Twitter.

To this day, Mriya remains the heaviest aircraft ever built. Powered by six turbofan engines, she has a maximum payload weight of 250 tonnes, which can be carried inside or on its back. It boasts the largest wingspan of any airplane in operational service.

Only one An-225 was ever built by the Kiev-based Antonov company, which came up with the design. It first took flight in 1988 and has been in service ever since.

Construction was begun on a second plane, but it was never finished.

The story of the An-225 begins back in the 1960 and '70s when the Soviet Union was locked in a race into space with the United States.

By the end of the 1970s, the need arose for transporting large and heavy loads from their places of assembly to the Baikonur Cosmodrome, the sprawling spaceport in the deserts of Kazakhstan that was the launchpad for Yuri Gagarin's pioneering space voyage of 1961.

The cargo in question was the Buran spacecraft, the Soviet Union's answer to NASA's Space Shuttle. Since there were at the time no airplanes capable of carrying it, the Antonov company was ordered to develop one. (Foreign Agencies)

View the original article here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best gaming console 2024

                                                      Best gaming console 2024 https://www.ebay.ca/itm/393982924812 The best gaming console-   PS5                                      https://prekite.com/view/it-sony-gaming-console-46683048 SPECIFICATIONS CPU:  AMD Zen 2-based CPU with 8 cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency) GPU:  10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency) GPU Architecture:  Custom RDNA 2 'Oberon' Memory interface:  16GB GDDR6 / 256-bit Memory bandwidth:  448GB/s Internal storage:  Custom 825GB SSD Usable storage:  667.2GB IO throughput:  5.5GB/s (raw), typical 8-9GB/s (compressed) Expandable storage:  NVMe SSD slot External storage:  USB HDD support (PS4 games only) Optical ...

Trump bans citizens of 12 countries from entering the US

  US President Donald Trump has imposed a travel ban on citizens of 12 countries to the US on national security grounds. The White House In a statement made by, it was stated that the list could be updated over time and new countries could be added according to "emerging threats in the world". This is Trump's second travel ban on specific countries, the first of which was implemented in 2017 during his first term as president. Which countries will be affected by the ban? According to the executive order signed by Trump, citizens of the following 12 countries are completely banned from traveling to the United States: Afghanistan Myanmar Chad Republic of Congo Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Haiti Iranian Libya Somali Sudan Yemen Additionally, citizens of the following seven countries face partial travel restrictions: Burundi Cuba Laos Sierra Leone Togo Turkmenistan Venezuelan The new regulation will come into effect at 00:01 local time on Monday. This time, a transition period h...

SpaceX completes 300th Falcon booster landing during Starlink mission

  S paceX completed a Falcon 9 launch, highlighted by the company’s 300th booster landing to date. The Starlink 6-53 mission also marked the 30th orbital launch from Florida in 2024. Liftoff from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station happened at 6:17 p.m. EDT (2217 UTC). The 45th Weather Squadron forecast a greater than 95 percent chance of favorable weather at liftoff. The Falcon 9 first-stage booster supporting this mission, tail number B1078, made its ninth launch on this flight. It previously launched NASA’s Crew-6 mission to the International Space Station, USSF-124, and five Starlink flights. About eight and a half minutes after liftoff, B1078 landed on the SpaceX droneship, ‘Just Read the Instructions.’ In addition to this being the 300th Falcon booster landing overall, it was the 79th landing for JRTI and the 233rd droneship landing to date. The 23 Starlink satellites onboard this mission add to the 5,851 currently in orbit, according to astronomer a...